Friday 29 August 2008

Wool gathering


Not quite wool: Balls of string at a market


Came across this article in the weekly edition of the Gruniad.  Obviously I haven't been here long enough to form more than a superficial opinion, but although it seems to ring true with what I have read, heard and experienced so far, but it also reinforces a lot of the 'Scandinavian' stereotypes that are around in the UK. Read the comments and you will see what I mean. As ever, any generalisation can be countered by a specific example or experience to the contrary - but our friends A&J in Germany, who have just had a bouncing baby boy, didn't feel the need to come rushing back before the birth... but that just opens up a whole other debate on another country.

Talking about babies, my brother (the middle one - let's call him Keski) has just found out that he (well his partner to be accurate) is expecting... somewhat to his and everyone's surprise. I'm not sure who had him in the sweepstake as to who would make our Mum a granny first, but he would have been the outsider not so long ago!  This rounds out a whole bunch of changes between us siblings -  youngest brother (let's call him Godzilla) finding a new GF;  Lil' Sis moving in with Godzilla (maybe we should call her Gosberry now?); Keski's news... anyone would think they were trying to compete with us for attention!  

Anyway at some point I will have to stop this displacement activity, do some work on my portfolio, and get my books together for language course starting Monday...

No comments: