Tuesday 11 August 2009

S5000: Rest in Pieces


R.I.P 03.2004 - 07.2009: It took some Fine Pix


I think I already mentioned that my beloved camera has shuffled off this mortal coil - although I'm not the only one similarly bereft.

It's a lonely feeling going out without it to shows and events (especially on bright and photogenic days). But my snappily named FinePix S5000 had a long (for a piece of consumer electronics that is), hard life - having taken it's first picture on 1/03/04 - I guess it was the first thing I saw after I unpacked the box, loaded the batteries and slotted in the memory card.


picture_00001

Despite it's upgrade to a 1GB xD card last year, it's passing comes as no surprise: after it's watery escapade in Tallin the flash gave up the ghost, and it's auto-focus became geriatricly unresponsive. But it served me well recording thousands of happy memories, buildings, scenery and sites - and the occasional inside of a bag, blurred back-of-head and substandard brickwork detail; but it's crowning glory was shots for the 'This is not a building' competition - those and many others live on as a fitting tribute for my little photographic friend.

Hmmm - I wonder what I'll get for my birthday next month?

2 comments:

Geotacs said...

sorry to hear about your little buddy passing on...

i'm sure it gave you many great experiences and pictures to remember by...

maybe it's time to get a new buddy?

konna said...

This is fairly intriguing... Who took the photo of your 'friend' as surely IT wasn't capable of doing that...? Have you got a secret camera hidden away somewhere???