Wednesday 22 December 2010

Lost Posts: TdS day 6 & 7

Kirkkovene / Church boat at Sulkava - photo by konna.

Something I forgot to mention earlier (and as she hasn't even read, let alone posted to, the blog recently she didn't notice until now) all the photos during our 'Tour de Saimaa' (TdS) cycling trip were taken by Konna and not by me as I didn't take my 'big' camera - and even though they are on my Picasa album rather than hers (well if I had waited for her to do it... said the pot of the kettle). Anyway, moving on...
 

Rowers setting off for 60km overnight race
Kuudes päivää:  lauantai 10. heinäkuu - Sulkavalla ja Sulkavalta Juvalle (n. 38 km pyöraily)

On Day 6 such as follows may have happened:
  • Konna recovered from the previous days trials and tribulations and made me get up early much to my disgust
  • Eschewing bicycles temporarily we took a madly driven shuttle bus before breakfast or even coffee (!) to the Sulkava soutu/kirkkovene (rowing/church boat) 60km competition start by the bridge at Hakovirta
  • After watching team and individual starts (and wishing I also had my camera) we take a slightly calmer driven bus back to town
  • Additional insect repellant, bite treatment and suncream is purchased
  • We set off late morning under a cloudless sky; there is a distinct lack of shade today (but less insects)
  • I start to struggle in heat/sun after only 20km; have an awful headache - maybe caffeine withdrawal?
  • I have to stop in a less than pleasant spot for early 'lunch' break - Konna later claims I go to sleep under a bush in a ditch
  • After Kyrsyä there is more shade, but also back to small hills, gravel & dust; we are now short of water/recovery drinks
  • We eventually hit the Savonlinna road where there is a bensa-asema/kahvila; we sit on their terrace in sweaty, dusty cycling gear and consume those cycling staples of icecream, coffee, cake and crisps, then refill our waterbottles
  • Rowers preparing
  • Camp next to Jukajärvi (Juva lake) at Juva Camping
Seitsemas päivää: suununtai 11. heinäkuu - Juvalla

The next day (which is a Sunday) we take as another rest day, so in the afternoon after a morning swim we

  • Visit strange little local museum/gallery (great display on milking)
  • Go shopping
  • Wash some smalls
  • Swim some more
  • Chill out on the shore
  • Eat ranskalaiset 
  • Prepare and organise for the next few days activities...

View Day 6 in a larger map

No comments: