Tuesday 21 October 2008

Toinen Koe




via kaupunkiliikenne.net: No, not a tram where you take exams (although the red pub tram does sell beer!)

If you have wondering why there has been a bit less hölynpöly recently then you probably need to get a life and get out more often... however one of us has been revising for his level two FFF (Finnish for foreigners) koe (test) which took place this afternoon. I get the results tomorrow, but I have a feeling it will not be as good as the last one. Just hoping to pass. Ho-hum.

Minun täytyy oppiskella joka päivä oppia lisää suomea, mutta minun ei tarvitse tehdä kotitehtevät tänä viikonloppuna.

Anyway level three starts next Monday, so back to reverse consonant gradation, and who knows what else then. 

But this week I also have to deal with a bit of Finnish bureaucracy and officially register my presence since it has been three months now; so through a great piece of 'Finnish logic' as an EU citizen I don't need permission, but I am supposed to register, with supporting documentation and details to show why I am here, which sounds suspiciously similar to the list of things required for non-EU citizens to get permission ... and being Finland this is done at the police station. Lovely. Now I understand those 'police state' jokes...

2 comments:

Rune said...

Hi emmdee,

Minun täytyy oppiskella joka päivä oppia lisää suomea, mutta minun ei tarvitse tehdä kotitehtevät tänä viikonloppuna.

That's easy for you to say.

Is learning the language something that you're required to do, or is it just a personal choice to make things easier?

I hope you pass, I hate taking exams at this stage of life.

Rune

emmdee said...

At the moment main reason is practical - being here and wanting to at least understand signs and basic conversation. Also to work here I think will be tricky without some of the language - I'm going to have to relearn a lot of the local regulations and technical things, which will mean a lot of reading

Although a big proportion of Finns my age and younger speak very good English (a lot speak German & Swedish too) I think it is culturally important that I at least have a basic understanding; I guess I mean it would feel rude not too. Actually one of the problems learning is that when I try to speak (badly) in Finnish people often answer in English!

A few early posts touch on these things, see the Finnish Language tags.

Finally as Hiiri (Konna's mum) doesn't speak any English, and as I am living in her house at the moment...