Monday 17 November 2008

Boy interrupted

[Not sure if I'm ever going to manage to post this, as Safari (newly upgraded to 3.2) keeps crashing on me. There it goes again. Anyway...]

As it is now week 12 of my 16 week language course, this means it is already time for test number three this Tuesday. In the the last 10 weeks I've got into a bit of a routine for my days, being pretty much undisturbed all day after Hiiri and Konna go to work at some unholy hour of the morning.  Sitting at the kitchen table to do my homework and watch the squirrels in the yard. Leaving to go to the course at 4:30 as everyone else is coming home from work.  This routine has been disrupted by Hiiri hurting her leg, and being off work all week, so I've retreated to our room to work while she talks on the phone, smokes on the balcony, watches 'The Bold and the Beautiful' or drinks black coffee in the kitchen while reading the Finnish equivalent of 'Hello'.  There are occasional halting conversations in Finnish (usually ending with me saying 'en tiedä' or 'en ymmärra' - I don't know / I don't understand).  Hiiri is also probably at a bit of a loose end during the day, having gone shopping and to the kirputori (fleamarket - selling not buying) by the time I have got up and had my breakfast in the morning and keeps helpfully doing things for me ... and as I wrote that she has just brought me a stack of clean, dry laundry - so now I feel bad for not taking it down before doing this!  

The second day she was off, I was eating my muesli (honest, I don't do fry ups every day you know) when two friends turned up, warmed up with a bit of coffee and gossip, and started to give her a home perm and hair cut in the kitchen.  

The third day she was off 10 friends came round at 3pm and they had some sort of 'tupperware party' thing about health food in the lounge (not entirely sure, as I blundered in and froze before escaping early to my course at 4pm, only thinking there was a couple of people there). 

On the 4th day, being a Thursday and on which I had got into a habit of going shopping and cooking an evening meal - as my contribution to invading the spare room, and as a prelude to our weekly sauna and swimming slot - I discovered that Hiiri was cooking kaalilaatikko, a 'box', meaning a casserole (the size of a vat in this case) of cabbage and mincemeat.  'Huomenta minä teisin ruokka' (Tomorrow I could cook) I said thinking that way I could buy some of the groceries as well, 'oh-ko' she says then rummages in the now groaning fridge and freezer and shows me two packs of cubed pork and a fridge drawer full of vegetables - ah, forget the shopping then, but what can I make with that I wondered.  Anyway she is back to work tomorrow, so I will be able to relax and not worry about getting in her way anymore... it is her flat afterall...

I wonder what the squirrels have been up to?

5 comments:

konna said...

Voi ei - rankka elämä... Elämä on :)

(people think I'm weird as laughing so much-but then again-they are probably right)

konna said...

... Do some studying - you have your KOE tomorrow!!! Watch ORAVA later ;D

emmdee said...

...and what are you doing reading the blog when you are work, may I ask?

Breaking More Waves Blog said...

I would like to point out that all my blogging action (writing and reading) is done at home.

Your squirrel is boring. Teach it to do this...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2xxKwesCKJk

emmdee said...

I should think so too