Saturday 6 September 2008

Huovutus - 'Felting' (is this a word?)



The world of making 'things' out of huopa (=hand felted wool) has now been revealed to me after an intensive felt making course. From a pot holder to a felt hat & a few colourful largeISH rings (my favourite objects) the next step is to make my own sauna hat to protect head & hair whilst in sauna ;) 
Some more stylised Finnish felt arts & crafts and scary hats & scarfs are worth while checking out!

  
  
A white pot holder after the first stage of the process (making the wool wet) and a grey felt hat in early stage of the process when the seams are formed by turning the felt over the bubble wrap pattern (after this the other side of the hat is positioned on top and the seems are turned again, felt hats for harsh winter by my course friends (drying on model heads), and my FANTASTIC RINGS - Aren't they beautiful?! ;D

2 comments:

emmdee said...

Well, it's in the dictionary...

I think your pot 'holder' is really a mat (for protecting table rather than hands!); and it looks like a squid.

konna said...

Joo - mustekala (=ink fish), it looked even more like a squid when in the blob-stage...