Friday 12 September 2008

September's architecture corner


Viikin Kirkko: From Viikki church and school

We cycled* out to Viikki today and had a look at award winning Viikinkirkko (Viikki Church) and the nearby Viikki(?) School which looks like a classic street & finger plan. Not the best weather for building photography, but pictures on Picasa (and the uusi kuvia/new pictures thingy over there somewhere anyway---> 
For the benefit of the architecturally minded amongst you, I'll try to post a bit more info on each building later when I've done some research. Actually the whole Viikki ecological development area is quite interesting, so maybe more on that too.  So watch this space. 

Which reminds me, a couple of weeks ago we did a day long cycle trip, ending up in Kotka (before you all start measuring the distances I'll point out we didn't start in Helsinki!) where we saw the ramping wedge of the Merikeskus Vellamo (Maritime Centre) by architect Ilmari Lahdelma. I know someone is about to mention Yokahama Ferry Terminal about now, so I'll save you the trouble. It's actually a pretty stunning building (although the exhibitions reputedly still need developing) and I know the form, barcode type colour bands and printed glass panels will push a lot of buttons for several of my ex-colleagues.  


Here are some more pictures, another grey day I'm afraid. Funnily enough it also features in the latest ARK magazine, which is the Finnish architectural review, which dropped through our letter box this morning as I was doing this post.


----
*Yes that means that our bikes made it here in one piece, and not only that, I have finally had my broken suspension forks replaced (although I chickened out of fitting them myself in the end) - well its only a year since they seized during our cycling tour of the Turku archipelago ringastie route... Hmmm, Turku, isn't that in Finland...?


[text corrections 14/09]

5 comments:

konna said...

No, Turku is not in Finland!!! More funny word games for Mark, as it's VIIKKI (with two K-kirjain) and yes you drop one of when you use the genetive, which is Viikin... Sometimes tricky to figure out the base word (especially when trying to find out what is the base verb of say painiskella or perhaps minä kerään)... Hmmm, I would make a stunning Finnish teacher - not!

a little yogi said...

hey you two! having a blast in finland i gather. i just flew into mysore, india this morning and will finally have some time to read...including this blog! is this a coincidence?? i log into this blog and i see pictures of shingles and coloured barcodes? anyway, looks like there's plenty to read, just need my cup of chai and this 'look-a-like digital architectural review' and it would be like old times... hugs, iiling

emmdee said...

Iilling: Yes, it does sound suspiciously like elements from THAT unbuilt project we all worked on doesn't it. At least they seem to build the competition wining projects here... Have fun in India!

Konna: Turku is so in Finland. Typera tyttö.

Anonymous said...

I went out to have a look at the Viikki Church this summer too, and was a little disapointed actually, maybe because I had built it up in my mind so much. I'll be interested to see what you thought of it.

emmdee said...

We liked it, although the main space is probably much more modest than the photos in the various magazines and books lead one to believe... I will try to post more on it as promised, but must revise this weekend for Level 1 FFF test next week!