Wednesday 17 September 2008

Huovutus - II



Time passes slowly in the North which has pushed me into (almost) mass production of 'huopa' products ;)

 
 
 

Top images feature making of the 'huopapallot' tai 'huopapallerot' (= felt balls). This can easily be done in the washing machine in a few minutes... you just need to have wool & stockings. The images in the middle show the process of making felt rings. This is much more time consuming than you might think. A ring will take a good hour to make, but hey - I have time! And the images at the bottom feature a purse & scarf... They are actually pretty cool things (which are in use already - the temperature was +5 c this morning so it's good to keep myself & my money warm) and they didn't take that long to make. The purse is hand made so again it was more time consuming than the scarf which was done in the washing machine (standard cycle of 60 deg.) and take all the hard work away from you! ... Again for the scarf you need stockings where to 'insert' the rolled sheet which holds your creation... Did you get it? 

'Suomen villa' was used for the purse, rings & balls. 'Hahtuva' (=wool type of yarn... which is actually not yarn, so breaks easily, but is good for felting) from Estonia was used for the black scarf. 'Hahtuva' ja 'villa' both come in various colours, but it seems that some colours such as orange & cyan are more difficult to turn into felt. Standard non coloured wool like 'musta' ja 'valkoinen' (= b&w) require less rubbing, rolling, mechanical action & are easier to work with.

Who wants to come for a 'huovutus-kurssi'?

P.S. Sorry for the stripy table cloth...

5 comments:

emmdee said...

Well you may not have so much time in the future. A little tontu tells me you have a job interview tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

'xcuse me...??? errr miss??? Have I got time to place an order???

I want to order afew rings- variety of colours- and a scarf...a red one!!! So you can spot me in the snow!

Love the this!! will you teach me???

maria.

Anonymous said...

aivan upeeta mahtavaa! tykkään eritoten tuosta kukkarosta.
Magnificent

emmdee said...

Ha - you may think you can be anonymous, but I bet that was Bore. Konna sanot - kiitos paljon

Anonymous said...

Ihania! In case you have made too many of those I would love to offer a home to one or two pieces : )

Anne