Friday 19 December 2008

Lost in Translation

-  I think I might try making some mince pies for Christmas for people to try. I'll have to make the mincemeat from scratch though.
- Ihana. Can you get all the ingredients here?
- Most of them are fairly easy; but I haven't seen candied peel or suet anywhere. What do you think?
- Mitä heleveti on suet!?
- It some sort of shredded fat. In the dictionary it translates as tali, if I ask in the shop do you think they'll have it?
- Ehkä... in a pet shop. That's what we call the ball of fat we put out for the birds!
- Perhaps we'll stick to joulutorttuja...




But is it as good as a mince pie? via by Robmcm



PS: Somehow I managed to scrape a 5 in my latest Finnish exam. 

Well actually I know how really: a) it was a fairly easy exam (compared to the course ); b) they lowered the pass mark for this grade as it has so many new grammar concepts in it. I would have got a 4 normally, which is still better than I expected. They are actually going to split it into two modules in the future (i.e. 8 weeks to cover instead of 4) this make sense as we had to cover - passiivi present & it's three past tenses, i-monikko one the plural forms (there are at least three I know of; this one applies to the 6 local cases, partitiivi and genitiivi, and is probably the most complicated thing to learn the rules for), the imperative, and more sentence types e.g. prediktiivi; all in only nine lessons. Actually maybe the sentence types are the hardest thing.  Although it was the passive I messed up on in the exam, so maybe... oh, never mind.

Anyway, this was the last part of the intensive basic grammar course I was doing, so next year I am looking for something more about actual spoken and written communication.  I'll probably will go back and do their advance course (levels 5-8) sometime though...

No comments: